APDA Online meeting for Arab Parliamentarians on ICPD and SDGs: youth empowerment and gender-based violence (GBV)15 December 2022, Online
On 15 December, the Asian Population and Development Association (APDA) and the Forum of Arab Parliamentarians on Population and Development (FAPPD) organized an online meeting to discuss issues related to youth empowerment and gender-based violence (GBV). During the meeting, the following points were raised, for which the parliamentarians were urged to step up their efforts:
- Youth consist of over 30% of the population of the Arab region; that is why these countries must support this large group of young people, provide them with accessible health services, and ensure that no one is left behind. Youth issues should be at the forefront of debates on comprehensive legislation.
- As many doctors and nurses left the health and medical sector due to the pressure from the COVID-19 pandemic, it is necessary to support this sector.
- There is a need for removing legal barriers and allocating more budget for population and health issues; this is where parliamentarians have a vital role.
- The majority of GBV victims and survivors are women and girls, but men and boys may also suffer from GBV.
- In the Lebanon’s case, 71% of women admit that there is a lack of knowledge about GBV and there is a need to educate their communities.
- The effective policies and enforceable legislation must be adopted and strengthened to advance gender equality and empower all women and girls at all levels.